2006年4月29日星期六

Research

I apologize in advance to those of you who have no interest in my research project, as I'll be posting my research progress periodically on the blog.

What I have done so far:

-I have compiled a bibliography of just under forty books, articles, websites, etc., which I am slowly working my way through. Most of the books are compilations of articles written by sign language researchers from all over the world. I have two more journal articles to read, and about a dozen books. Most of my reading takes place between the lunch and dinner rushes at work. I suspect my coworkers think I'm crazy. They all know I'm going to China, I've even told a couple of them that I am working on a research project, but no one knows the exact topic. I sometimes report my progress to a good friend of mine at work, but I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know the topic. Usually, I don't mention Chinese Sign Language to people, because they NEVER know what I'm talking about. I usually get a blank stare followed by some stupid comment like, "Isn't that universal?" Or, "So you want to sign English with Chinese people?" Or my favorite, "I have a cousin, who has a best friend, who has this uncle, who's coworker is hearing impaired. He knows sign language. See? Like this..." At this point, the person very slowly, very painfully, fingerspells something to me.

-I've sent half a dozen emails to random people found through a Google search. I spent several hours on this project about a week ago, and have only heard back from one person. However, that one person has provided me with several more contacts and a potential wealth of information. Receiving that email was a happy moment. I did the happy dance, took myself out to lunch, called my best friend, and finally forwarded the email to my professor.

-In an earlier post I mentioned finding a Chinese Sign Language dictionary. I'll be photocopying the introduction tomorrow. The rest of the dictionary is just a bunch of black and white photographs.

-I am compiling a list of authors from the books and journal articles to locate and write to. Many of the journal articles also have extensive works cited pages, which I will be using to find even more articles.

-I contacted a former professor of mine who teaches an ASL linguistics class. I came to him wanting someone in the states who knows what I'm trying to do and is available for feedback. With that goal in mind I found him at his office, explained what I was trying to do, and asked for his thoughts on how to go about researching. I didn't get much help with the research (I didn't really need it), but he did say he wanted me to keep him updated on my progress. (YES!!!!!!!!!) Maybe he was just being polite, but I'll definitely be taking him up on the offer.

-I'm still trying to nail down an exact topic of research. I feel as though I am going into this wanting to find the answer, and pose the question to fit my findings. But, as my professor told me, you must have a research question if you want to accomplish anything. While at work last night, I jotted down the following topic question: "What is the prevailing view of deafness in China, and how does it play out in deaf education?" This question is fairly broad, with lots of built-in holes. In order to answer this question, I will be focusing on the deaf identity (how deaf children and adults view themselves and their place within society), language (is the sign language natural?), and the role of sign language in education. If possible, I would like to interview educators, deaf adults, and deaf children.

-I found an article in the journal "American Annals of the Deaf" that deals specifically with deaf education in China. If I can find a link to it that does not require a password, I'll post it here.

That's all for now.

没有评论: