2006年4月6日星期四

Research

I wrote the following research project idea to bring to class and discuss with my fellow travelers. It's just an informal outline of possible research topics that I will be looking into. I've posted it here:

I would like to do a research project on a Chinese Sign Language. Specifically, I would like to find out more about the language itself, whether or not there is a deaf community in China, and what life is like within that community.
Ideally, I would like to spend some time learning the sign language and conducting a general survey of its linguistic features. I will be looking into whether or not the sign language is a natural language, or a sign system. If both of these are found to exist, what are the differences? How are they used? If a sign system is used, I would like to find out more about its history and application. Are there dialects of the sign language? Also, I want to know if sign language is seen as a means of teaching children to speak, or as a language in its own right. In other words, what is the goal of deaf education in China?

I would also like to find out if there are deaf communities in China. Do individuals who use sign language in China gather in community groups? Do they see themselves as a culture, or as members of the hearing community at large? Are there deaf clubs or cultural centers? What are the opportunities available to deaf children and adults in China? What is the education system like for deaf children, and what types of employment are available to them upon graduation?

In order to find out the answers to the above questions, I would like to take some videotape of people using sign language while telling stories, conversing, listing vocabulary etc... If it is possible, I would like to spend time observing at a deaf school. Gallaudet University has a large library of materials on deafness and sign languages. I’ll be searching their databases more closely for any information and research on China. I will also be reading the book “Deaf Children in China”, written by Alison Callaway in order to get a start on my research.

I am sure my list of questions about this topic will expand greatly in the near future. I will also be refining my topic as I learn more.

没有评论: