2006年8月23日星期三

Chengdu!!!

Yep, my new program to by pass the Great Firewall of internet censorship seems to be working! Blogger.com is a banned website in China, but as you can see I'm still able to blog.
Just wanted to let you all know that I made it to Chengdu in one piece. After passing through airport security, I ran into another classmate of mine at the terminal. It turns out that five of us were taking the same flight path to Beijing. From there we were to be on separate flights to Chengdu. The flight to San Francisco was uneventful as was the flight to Beijing. Unfortunately, I was squished in a middle seat on all three of the flights. For the long flight I sat next to a Chinese man who spoke no English except for the word “Heineken”, and I’m not even sure that’s English. The flight from San Francisco to Beijing took twelve hours. We ended up flying north over the Bering Strait and Siberia rather than just straight across the ocean.
After arriving in Beijing the five of us had to locate our luggage, take it through customs and recheck it on the other side. As anyone who saw me packing knows, my bags weighed a ton. When I got to the counter to re-check my baggage, I was dripping with sweat. Myself and another student were set to take a 9:00 flight. We ended up changing the flight to arrive earlier with the rest of the students from my class. The flight to Chengdu was quick, and I slept most of the way. Someone was at the airport waiting to pick us up when we arrived. They took us straight to the dorms where I’m sharing a room with two other girls. They have provided us with towels, teacups, remote-controlled AC, tea, a thermos, a television, and blankets. We have our own bathroom; yet the shower is cold and there are bugs.
All in all everything is good. I'm completely exhausted, but with a good night's rest I'll be fine.

没有评论: