2007年4月28日星期六

Spring is come!

Spring has finally come to Chengdu! After freezing our behinds off all winter, spring has come with a vengeance. It was warm a couple of days and then suddenly someone turned the furnace up and it became hot! The weather here is always humid, making the cold feel colder and the hot hotter. For two days we actually had blue sky. I so rarely see it that when it comes, it's all I can do to stay inside. White skin is all the rage here, so I get lots of stares when I roll up my sleeves and pants and bask in the sun.

The students have gotten into the spirit too. Outside dorm and apartment buildings, residents can be seen hanging their bed linens on the shrubbery to dry. The women have finally taken off their long underwear in favor of gloves and sweaters (I will never understand this), and have donned welder's masks whenever they are outside to keep the sun from tanning their skin. Girls are carrying pretty umbrellas to keep the sun off their faces, while those on bikes have rigged their umbrellas to stand up straight from the handlebars.

All of this is quite a sight, but the oncoming of spring has made me feel the passage of time more now than ever. I'm beginning to realize how close home is, and am in part dreading it and excited at the same time. China is a lot of fun, but home will be good too.

It rained today reminding me of Seattle. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the rain.

没有评论: