2006年9月14日星期四

Thursday

I've been making a point these last few days of observing the "used" bike market, just to see how it works. I'm going to have to go down there and take a couple of pictures, just so you all understand.

Now, the stolen bike market is located on a side road near campus. There are several dilapidated buildings, whose only tenants are the shop keepers on the ground floor. The bike market isn't a market in the traditional fashion. There are no bikes lined up on the street, there are no shops selling locks or baskets. When the market is in business, the street is packed with people walking their bikes, looking for buyers or sellers. When the police show up, the street is deserted, and only a few shopkeepers remain. The day I bought my bike, several police officers were sitting on make-shift stools playing cards and drinking tea. I suspect they sit there most days, enjoying themselves while the wheeling and dealing takes place just out of their view.

It's pretty interesting to watch. It makes me wonder how much more is going on that I may never be aware of. I'll try to get some pictures of the market tomorrow. If anything, I'll get one of the faux capitol dome that I told you all about earlier.

没有评论: