2006年9月28日星期四

Hot Pot

I had the following conversation with a Chinese student yesterday.

Chinese girl: So, what do you think of my English name? Is it alright?

Me: Yeah, it's a good name.

Chinese girl: What does it mean?

Me: I don't know, many English names don't have a direct meaning...

Chinese girl: Oh. I don't really like my name. I've been thinking of changing it...

Me: To what? Hey, I know a good name--Laura! It's perfect!

Chinese girl: Nah, I was thinking of Lavinsky. What do you think of that name? Is it a nice name?

Me: Lavisnky? That's a surname. I think you should just stick with your name. It's not a bad name, you know. Lavinsky-- now that's not a very good name...

Chinese girl: What do you mean Lavinsky isn't a good name? What about the president's girlfriend?

Me: Huh? Who?

Chinese girl: Lavinsky! You know that girl, Monica!

Me: Uhh...

I've met a lot of people here with strange English names. It makes me suspicious of the Chinese name I was assigned when I first started taking Chinese. The Chinese people don't laugh when I say my name, so that makes me feel a little better. I do ask them though, whether or not they think my name is a good one.

I really think the English teachers are not living up to their calling. I've heard some really strange things, it makes me wonder why nobody has said anything to them. By the time the Chinese students are my age, they've been using the same name for a long time. I feel like I ought to say something, but then I hesitate; what if it's on all their business cards?

It's not their fault that their English name is so weird (the name Tornado comes to mind), it's the fault of their teachers who don't correct the situation before they are embarassed.

没有评论: