2007年6月20日星期三

Marriage Market

In my Chinese culture class we discussed marriage and dating in China. Our teacher mentioned that at some parks small marriage markets are set up for singles to find potential suitors. Each "market" is set up by the parents. Advertisements stating things such as job, hobbies, and what that person is looking for in a mate are strung up along clothes lines just far enough apart for people to walk through the aisles.

The other day several of my classmates and I decided to take a trip to the People's Park; a large wooded park in the center of city. There just happened to be an activity day being held at the time. Nearly every corner was packed by crowds of people singing karaoke and dancing. Public exercise and dancing is big in China. I know of two places near my house where hundreds of people gather faithfully every night to dance. It's not much on style, mostly arm flapping and shuffling of feet, but it looks like everyone has a good time.

Anyway, the entire park was packed with dancers and singers. One crowd was doing a group sing-a-long. A small band sat on stools in the middle of the pack, while audience members shared song books.

At the marriage market, dozens of parents were milling around looking at future daughter or son-in laws. There were no young people. My classmate Deborah and I decided we would peruse the aisles for future husbands. I stopped and looked at one description just a little too long. An older couple walked over and in proud terms started describing their son to me. He speaks English, has a good job, lives in Singapore. This couple was so intent on telling me about their son that I literally had a hard time walking away. All I could think about was how sad it would be if my parents tried to sell me at the marriage market.

That night I called home just to make sure.

没有评论: