2006年12月15日星期五

A very short research update:

Sign language class is officially over for the year, and won't be starting up again until March. Being with my favorite Chengdu-ers in my favorite class in Chengdu has been fun, and I'll miss going. All is not doom and gloom however, I was assured that there would be deaf community events and activities that I would be invited to, so for now I'm just waiting for my phone to ring with a new text message.

Sign language class has been really fun. I'm learning it much faster than most of my fellow classmates, and I really love hanging out with the teacher and deaf students I sit with. They've been patient with my questions, and are always willing to teach me new signs. I've even talked to most of them about my research intentions, and asked if I could conduct interviews. All of them gave me an enthusiastic go-ahead, so I'm tentatively planning for the end of January and again at the beginning of March. I'm not fluent enough in CSL to conduct interviews in the language, I'll be getting my interview questions translated into Chinese.

I've also started a paper based on some of what I've learned at class. Although it's research based, it's not as long or detailed as my final research project will be (I hope!). I'll post it when I'm done, although it may not interest most of you.

I also had the opportunity to visit a school for deaf children in Chengdu. I won't be using anything from my visit in my research, but it was a fun experience and I was glad I had the chance to go. I was accompanied by someone in the International Office at SU. I was worried that she wouldn't find it interesting, but to my surprise she seemed more interested than I was. It turns out her graduate work was in education, so the visit wasn't something completely foreign to her.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the next installment of "Research Updates."

没有评论: