2006年12月2日星期六

Personal Space

In a country with a population of over a billion people, crowding and invasion of personal space are just facts of life. There are people everywhere, every time of the day.

Most of us Americans are not what is described as "touchy-feely" types. We don't hug often, only shake hands when necessary, and never, I mean NEVER hold hands. I've found many Chinese people are completely comfortable with the holding of hands. People I don't know often grab my hand as a sign of friendship. Others I barely know reach out and hug me as a greeting. I'm not offended by it and I'm not bothered by it; it's just a cultural difference. Most of the time when I encounter a "touchy-feely" moment, I'm just startled. Take for example my sign language class. I often sit in the back of the class and chat with a group of deaf and hard of hearing people. In this situation it's very common for someone to lean across me and place a hand on my thigh. They'll even leave it there after returning to their seats. I can live with this. I'm not offended by this.

Next week the sign language class will be taking their final test, and then the Saturday afternoon class will be finished. As with nearly everything else in China, this requires a photo or twenty. I was pulled from one side embrace to another, trying to keep up my smile. I was finally put into a pose with the teacher. We stood next to each other, arms down at our sides. Suddenly I felt her swat my back side. I could deal with this. I'm not offended by this.

I smiled at the teacher and turned to go back to my seat when I was grabbed by the arm.

"Just one more, please." A Chinese student stood in front of us poised with camera in hand. Reluctantly we all assembled into a line again. This time I stood next to one of my fellow classmates.

"1...2..."

SWAT!!!

There it was again! Some unknown person had just swatted my backside! I just continued smiling. I could deal with this. I'm not offended by this.

"...3" The picture was taken and we all hurried back to our seats.

The holding hands thing I can live with. The hugs I can tolerate. The hand on thigh isn't a problem. I just don't think I can get used to the swatting...

没有评论: